Sunday, February 16, 2014

Spring in Bolivia

After several weather-delays and an all night flight, I arrived in La Paz, Bolivia Thursday morning. At 12,000 feet I spent a low-key day enjoying family, walking very slowly up stairs and occasionally sucking in air from an oxygen tank. The next day Cara and I hopped a taxi to the center of town, and I registered for 50 hours of Spanish lessons with a tutor. My plan is to couple them with my Rosetta Stone lessons each weekday, so tomorrow is grandma's first day of school.

Of course, each day's highlight since arrival has been enjoying the gleeful antics of two-year-old Ariana. She's prepared many a cup of tea for me inside her pink castle. Right now I'm living with Ariana's other grandmother, Lila, and aunt, Carola, who live a minute's walk away. When "Zoe" arrives around March 30th, I'll move in with Mache and Cara.

God wonderfully provided a young missionary family, also expecting a baby soon, to live in my house while I'm away. In the busy weeks of preparing the house and myself for this trip, I sensed a curious underlying anxiety. It took me a few days to realize that I was apprehensive about leaving my space of grief, my familiar place of mourning. But I needn't have worried, I certainly didn't leave my grief at home! Cara and I have already had some tearful heart-to-hearts, and the Lord has tenderly met me in my hours of altitude insomnia with clear reminders from his word.

Please pray that I'll thrive as I build new relationships, refresh my love of different cultures and stretch this ol' brain in language learning.









2 comments:

  1. How grand to receive the news of your initial days in La Paz! What a mishmash of feelings and emotions which both assault and buoy you at the same time... May you continue to sense the strength of Spirit and family as you walk through this wonderful experience, and may you find great joy in each day's labor... Our love and prayer never leave you, dear sister! Please give Cara and Mache a huge greeting from us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you are there! Sounds like it is going to be a great place to continue this experience. What a blessed grandma you are to see Ariana every day and soon Zoe! Those little ones are the best healing, right? I can imagine how hard it would be to leave those familiar spaces of grief. Keep us informed of your language study--would love to do that! We love you and we are continuing to pray for you:) Joy and George

    ReplyDelete